Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Happy Khalsa Da Sajna Divas/Happy Vaisakhi

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Happy Khalsa Da Sajna Divas/Vaisakhi Day
Vaisakhi



Today is the Anniversary of the Founding of the Khalsa. Congratulations to everyone and we hope that you enjoy the celebrations wherever you are.

History from www.sikhiwiki.org

On Vaisakhi Day, March 30, 1699, hundreds of thousands of people gathered around his divine temporal seat at Anandpur Sahib.  The Guru addressed the congregants with a most stirring oration on his divine mission of restoring their faith and preserving the Sikh religion. After his inspirational discourse, he flashed his unsheathed sword and said that every great deed was preceded by an equally great sacrifice: Then calling out to the assembled crowd, 'My sword is hungry for a head', He demanded one head for oblation. After some trepidation one person offered himself for the Guru's 'great sacrifice'. The Guru took him inside a tent. A little later the Guru came out of the tent, his sword dripping with fresh blood only to ask for another head. One by one four more earnest devotees offered their heads. Every time the Guru took a person inside the tent, he came out with his sword dripping fresh blood.

Thinking their Guru had gone mad and afraid He would ask for more heads some of the congregation started to disperse when suddenly the Guru emerged with all five men dressed piously in white and in a new ceromony that changed the way that one became a Sikh the Guru now initiated the five into a new and unique order of Sikhs. The ceremony was called pahul, what Sikhs today know as the baptism ceremony or Amrit Shakna. Then the Guru asked the first five Khalsa Sikhs to baptise him, in the same manner. He then proclaimed that the Panj Pyare -- the Five Beloved Ones -- would be the embodiment of the Guru himself.

At the same time the Guru gave his new Khalsa a unique, indisputable, and distinct identity. The Guru gave the gift of bana, the distinctive Sikh clothing and headwear. He also offered five emblems of purity and courage. These symbols, worn by all baptised Sikhs of both sexes, are popularly known today as Five K's: kesh, unshorn hair; Kanga, the wooden comb; Karra, the iron (or steel) bracelet; Kirpan, the sword; and Kachera, the underwear. By being identifiable, no Sikh could never hide behind cowardice again.

Some Shabads:

Deh Shiva Bar Mohe (translation from Sikhnet)
O Power of the Supreme Lord! grant me this boon, that I may never falter in performing righteous actions.
When I go to fight my enemies, I may not be a bit intimidated by them and may certainly become victorious.
And I may give this instruction to my mind inculcate me with a consistent craving that I may ever utter Your praises.
When my lifespan comes to an end, then I may lay down my life fighting fiercely in the war.(231)
I have narrated this Chandi Charitra (the wonders and the chronicle of Chandi) in poetry. It is full of violent sentiments.
The Stanzas, one and all are deliciously composed and from head to foot, novel similes have been given (the poet says):
"I have composed the epic of Durga of seven hundred Shaloks for the pleasure of my mind and it is now complete.
Any person with a specific purpose, reads it or listens to it with determination, Durga shall grant him the same(232)

Inhi Ki Kirpa Ke (translation from Sikhnet), to the tune of Sant Anoop Singh Ji’s shabad
It is through the actions of the Khalsa that I have been victorious, and have been able to give charities to others.
It is through their help that I have overcome all sorrows and ailments and have been able to fill my house with treasures.
It is through their grace that I have got education, and through their assistance I have conquered all my enemies.
It is through their aid that I have attained this status, otherwise there are millions of unknown mortals like me.

Jai Jai Jag Karan
I actually learned this shabad from this website http://www.kirtancollegemp.com/videos.php?page=Kirtan%20-%20Ladies%20Normal
(translation from Sikhnet)
The sword hacks and breaks ruthlessly into pieces and fragments the hordes of fools. This vigorous (weapon) adorns the battlefield.
Its long (forceful) arm is unbreakable. Its awesome splendour overshadows the lustre of the Sun.
It looks after the welfare of the Saints and pulverises the wicked. It destroys the sins and I seek Its refuge.
Hail, hail to the Creator of the world, the Saviour of
 the creation. My protector Scimitar, hail to Thee.(2)

Jaagat Jot
To the tune of shabad by Bhai Niranjan Singh (translation from Sikhnet)
Such a man, in whose heart shines the full Divinely Radiant Light is a true a pure Khalsa.
He the Khalsa meditates on the Ever-radiant Light, day and night, and rejects all else but the one Lord from the mind.
He decorates himself with perfect love and faith, and believed not in fasts, tombs, crematoriums and hermit cells, even by mistake.
He knows none except the one Lord in the performance of acts of pilgrimage, charities, compassion, austerities and self-control.
 O Durga, they who will ever meditate on you (at dawn)
They will attain the fruit of salvation at the end and will merge into the Lord.(6)(262)


No comments:

Post a Comment