Friday, September 23, 2016

Too Young

I was told I'm "too young to be religious" from an elder in our community. My immediate response was to blurt out “well you never know when you’re going to die,” which, in retrospect, was true but should have been worded more carefully when talking to an old lady (oops). Really, I think that this is a mistake for our elders to be telling young people. Basically the idea is telling people to do whatever when they are younger (often used to justify things we shouldn’t be doing in Sikhism) because they can just take amrit when they are old and everything will be forgiven. How are you going to suddenly transform yourself from the way you are used to living and also pay off all those karms? Even at my age I’m already finding it hard to establish a new routine, refocus my life on faith. I can’t imagine spending another 10, 20, 30 years lost and wandering around in the world and then trying to do it. Other people have told me I’m more religious than most, and that’s good enough so why are you trying to do more? Because there is a lot of work to be done inside still and I see it now. I have wasted so much time already, I don’t know how long I have so why would I not want to spend each breath trying to fulfill my purpose? I know my goal is to meet God, and that will give me peace and happiness to be able to enjoy my life, so it doesn’t make sense that I would spend the next 40 years doing things that don’t help me reach that goal. The 5 dhoots/thieves (kaam, krodh, lob, moh, hankaar) have stolen enough, let us not let them steal any more of our life-breath. Remember also that the Chaar Sahibzaade were all very young when they were martyred. We cannot say one is too young to learn about sikhism. 

Surprisingly this video on forgiveness also talks about why its important for people to start practicing Sikhism younger:

No comments:

Post a Comment