Friday, November 4, 2016

I'm So Confused!

I have to say one of the most common thoughts for me in any overwhelming situation is “I am SO CONFUSED!!!” It’s that confusion we all experience about why things happen the way they do, or about making an important decision and not being certain about it. We can often rationalize and use logic to find answers, but confusion itself is actually about something deeper.

I think confusion is really a symptom of duality. Duality is not seeing ourselves and everything in this world as part of God, and as part of God’s Will. Our ego causes us to think that we know what’s right and we become attached to our thoughts (maya). Our mood rises and crashes instead of being at constant peace. In duality, we do not live under God’s Will because we don’t chant God’s praises 24/7. We repetitively get caught up in the work of this world and forget what we came to this earth for. We stop having full faith and trust in God, and start to doubt. It says in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, “In the love of duality, he suffers in pain forever; he is deluded by doubt, and confused by the three gunas” (1066). The three gunas mentioned being Rajogun, Tamogun, and Satogun (see my past posts for more about those). Ultimately, this confusion and doubt are a build-in part of the game of life. We have to overcome these in order to meet God.

The Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji tells us that “The healthy person is very sick, if he does not remember the Lord, the Embodiment of Mercy” (p. 1356). So most of us are sick, yet most will never recognize the sickness and learn its cure. It is by God’s grace that you and I have had the opportunity to learn this. We are so fortunate to be able to recognize that our cure is Naam. It resolves our doubt and confusion, and gives us ultimate peace and fulfillment. Gurbani tells us “Confused and deluded, I wander around, but no one shows me the way. I go and ask the clever people, if there is there anyone who can rid me of my pain. If the True Guru abides within my mind, then I see the Lord, my best friend, there. O Nanak, my mind is satisfied and fulfilled, contemplating the Praises of the True Name” (p. 1087). 

Instead of taking our medicine, though, we tend to go deeper and deeper into our thoughts (maya), looking for a solution. The reason we do that is because it is easier to be lost in thoughts than to do our simran and read our Gurbani with full concentration. What is seemingly so simple is actually hard work and the rare person actually puts in that work. Guru Ji tells us, “To be imbued and attuned to the Word of the Shabad; to be kind and compassionate; to sing the Kirtan of the Lord's Praises - these are the most worthwhile actions in this Dark Age of Kali Yuga. In this way, one's inner doubts and emotional attachments are dispelled” (p. 1354 Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji). 

So each time you are doubtful, confused and lost, take your medicine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment