Thursday, July 20, 2017

Sab Sikhan Ko Hukam Hai, Guru Maneyo Granth

If I was to give a gift, it would be to impart the understanding of Gurbani. Such a gift could heal the physical, mental and social aspects of a person’s life. It transforms us in every single way. I know for me personally, all the energy I used to exhaust in anxious thoughts have been converted to multiplying my good qualities- I'm more passionate and creative for example. Yesterday I watched a katha about Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, which has opened my eyes and deepened my relationship with Guru Ji. In the katha, Bhai Manvir Singh talks about how Bani is Guru (the shabad is Guru) and how Guru is God (Vaho Vaho Bani Nirankaar Hai). He gave examples of how Guru Ji is very powerful (for example power to heal, power to change our lives), how Guru Ji hears our ardas and speaks to us via a Hukamnama, and how Guru Ji is always with us.

It was a really inspiring katha for me because truthfully, I had never understood my relationship with Guru Ji in this way. I’ll give you an example of what it used to be like for me. When the Hukamnama was being read as a kid, I used to find some loose thread or something on my suit, and start playing with that. All of my attention was on that little thread. I even see that a lot nowadays with little girls sitting in the Gurdwara. When I got a bit older I realized that I should at least APPEAR like I’m paying attention, given the fact that everyone else’s heads are bowed down. I tried to look the part so I would sit still, but I didn’t understand why to listen, how to listen, what to listen for. Older still, I tried to listen but my mind was lost in thoughts. Over this last year now I tried to read the translations by searching up the Hukamnama on igurbani. At least now I understand the meaning. At the same time, most days my mind says “what a lovely hukamnama” and two minutes later it is forgotten. After hearing this katha, I’m going to really try to apply what I learn from the Hukamnama. Even in Ardas, I think a lot of times we don’t share what is really on our minds with Guru Ji. We should ask our questions with honesty and we will get an answer. So this morning when I did Ardas, I asked what was on my mind, I took a hukamnama from Sikhnet https://www.sikhnet.com/hukam/personal  which I read carefully and eagerly, and I got not only the answer to my questions but some guidance to carry me forward. I think it just helped me to more fully understand how to speak to Guru Ji, and how to listen. 

P.S. In channeling my creative energy, I added a drawing to my recent post about weddings!

Kathas:

3 comments:

  1. Real nice. Exactly my views

    Blessings of a Daughter (ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਵਿੱਚ) Ek Sikh

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxZA6RDb97s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect message! I heard a katha recently in which he said not to call girls "kudhi" because it comes from "koodh" but rather "dhee" or "ladki". I had no idea of this background to the word kudhi. My mother has always called all children "puth" with love.

      Delete
    2. This is our costume. In many lives we were plants. In some lives we were men, some women. Let us look beyond our costumes.

      Delete