Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Turbans in the RCMP

I wanted to share this story about how RCMP Inspector Baltej Dhillon won the rights for Sikhs to be able to wear turbans in the RCMP. I had the pleasure of meeting Inspector Dhillon a few years ago and he is truly an inspirational individual. I was shocked to read about how over 90,000 Canadians had signed a petition AGAINST allowing turbans to be worn, and how he had even received death threats in the mail. I think that we have come a long way since then. On Canada’s 150th anniversary we are not celebrating the achievements of Sikhs like Inspector Dhillon as a contribution to the diversity of our country.

1 comment:

  1. I was listening to Sam Harris,philosopher, neuroscientist(Ph.D) who Spiritual just not confined to any religion(misunderstood as an atheist). I was reading comments on Sam's video when I came across a SIKH commenter,"Bhagat Singh" He is a painter..

    Watch his video if you like: First one Bhagat Singh drawing a warrior

    How to Draw a Sikh Warrior (Time Lapse + Commentary)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w3faZQ2GQQ

    Sam Harris on Free Will, Spirituality, and Artificial Intelligence

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfpq_CIFDjg

    ReplyDelete