I woke up today
beaming with positivity and inspiration and feeling like I really wanted to
write!
We tend to equate
courage and bravery with battles fought with swords and spears. As a Sikh, the
image of Guru Gobind Singh Ji riding on a horse, sword drawn, comes to mind. I
think of the brave Sikhs that gave their lives for us, and for freedom of
religion. To be willing to risk your life or sacrifice your life is most
certainly courageous! But I think the definition of courage can also be expanded
into the realm of the mind.
Brene Brown writes I Thought It Was
Just Me: Women Reclaiming Power and Courage in a Culture of Shame, “In
one of it’s earliest forms, the word courage meant ‘To speak one’s mind by
telling all one’s heart.’ Over time, this definition has changed, and today we
typically associate courage with heroic and brave deeds. But in my opinion,
this definition fails to recognize the inner strength and level of commitment
required for us to actually speak honestly and openly about who we are and
about our experiences- good and bad. Speaking from our hearts is what I think
of as ‘ordinary courage.’”(1) I agree with this definition. It is courageous to
speak out, tell your story, tell the truth. When we speak out, we are taking
the risk of being rejected, isolated, shamed, judged, etc. This is especially
true for individuals speaking out about topics like mental illness, addictions, sexual assault, domestic violence, etc. that have a lot of stigma around them.
Although it’s not physically life or death, acceptance and connection are
necessary for humans on a social level, so the risk is a big one. I don’t think
forcing anyone to speak out before they are ready is acceptable, but if an
individual is willing to share their story, I think we should be ready to
recognize the courage it took for them to get there. Speaking out gives an
individual a chance for empowerment, but that can be taken away if the person
they are sharing with it invalidates their feelings. I’m not just talking about
the serious issues I mentioned above, but I think even sometimes our everyday
experiences can be painful ones, and being receptive and supportive is
important.
Like most people,
I’ve had a lot of hard conversations in my life. Overwhelmingly, I’ve had tons of support, but there have also been some experiences of people
saying the wrong thing, being not only supportive but actively harmful and perpetuating negative
stereotypes. I learned that even if it’s in your job description, you might not
have the empathy skills to be able to listen. Having been on both sides of
emotionally charged conversations and having supported others through emotional
crises, I wanted to share some of what I have learned.
For the person
who wants to share: Emotional processing is difficult for both the person
talking and the person listening. Because of this, I think it’s important for
the person wanting to share their feelings/experiences to check in and see if
the other person is willing to receive the information. It doesn’t end well
when the other person is having their own difficulties and is emotionally
vulnerable too. Rather than making any assumptions, just ask to make sure they
are in a headspace of being able to listen. It might just be a bad day for them
and you need to talk another time. Second, I’ve found it useful to take a break once in a
while if you are sharing a particularly long story, and write it down, if it’s
a particularly emotional one. Just reading out what you write is easier because then you don't have to rely on your brain to remember when you are already nervous.
For the person
listening: This is a lot harder than people think. Sometimes you feel
overwhelmed, helpless, or you just don’t know what to say. You need to be
understanding of the fact that its really hard for people to share their
feelings (this is especially true for men, who have been taught in our culture
that it’s not okay to share their feelings). In your position its important to
reserve judgment, and keep from advising the other person, but instead listen
to try to understand from that person’s point of view. Brene Brown writes
“Teresa Wiseman, a nursing scholar in England, identifies four defining
attributes of empathy. They are: (1) to be able to see the world as others see
it; (2) to be nonjudgmental; (3) to understand another person’s feelings; and
(4) to communicate your understanding of that person’s feelings.” (1) These are
all essential when you are listening to someone share their story. People
really want to be reminded that they have a right to how they feel, and it’s
okay that they feel that right now. I read about some common ways people
invalidate and I think they are worth mentioning: blaming, minimizing, trying
to avoid feelings that you aren’t comfortable hearing about, and wanting to fix
other people’s feelings (2). Lastly, you have a right to your own reaction, but
it’s important not to take away from the other person’s need to express their
feelings by throwing in your own. For example, sometimes people misdirect their
anger, which is actually at the situation, to the person telling the story.
Also, I think being on this end of the conversation is emotionally draining and
sometimes we need some time for ourselves. It’s important to communicate that
you are still there for the person but need some space right now to deal with
your own feelings. I personally had this experience a month ago when several friends were going through a tough time at the same time and were leaning on me for support. I quickly realized the importance of taking some time to do some emotional processing of my own.
A few yrs ago I
would have been uncomfortable and mentally run away from a hard conversation someone
was trying to have with me. Usually all I could think of were generic messages of support like “I’m so sorry that
happened to you," "that must be hard," "let me know if there is anything i can do” And although there's nothing wrong with those per se, it's just that they aren't all that great. I think i simply didn’t have the
skills to be able to do much more. Today, I know how much courage it takes to
be vulnerable enough to share something, and I’m happy to be the one listening
when I can. The best way we can celebrate that courage is to make sure that we
can do all we can to support the person telling their story.
Watch this awesome video from Brene Brown on empathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Evwgu369Jw
Watch this awesome video from Brene Brown on empathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Evwgu369Jw
(1) Brown, Brené. I Thought It Was Just Me: Women Reclaiming
Power and Courage in a Culture of Shame. New York: Gotham, 2007. E-book.

No comments:
Post a Comment