Sunday, November 24, 2019

Historical Gurdwaras of India and Pakistan Yatra Part 16: Going Home

Day 21 

The last day of our yatra. We woke up 3 am and went to Harmandir Sahib, which was very busy for a Gurgaddi Divas. It was a crowded line but we we really enjoyed getting a chance to sit and enjoy the kirtan once we were instead. I cried when it was time to leave Harmandir Sahib because my mind had finally found some much needed peace and I didn’t want to let that go. It took my whole life to come here. Growing up from watching Lahore Lahore Aay to now visiting these Gurdwaras was a dream come true. We had to coordinate schedules and just by God’s grace it all worked out and my sister was able to pay for our trip. I didn’t know when or if I would ever get an opportunity to come back because there’s no guarantee of tomorrow, so I stood there watching the reflection of the water. I know God isn’t found in outside places, but it did transform and shape so much for my understanding of where I come from. I am realizing how much lonelier and spread out our lives are here in Canada, separated not only by physical space from our extended families but also the individualism of our society. Add to that the winter darkness and living inside our artificially lighted workplaces, starved of the richness of our culture and spirituality is in stark contrast of the brightness of the sun shining on a farmer’s face after a physical day of hard work. Yet the landscape of that India has also changed, that one that my parents froze in time in their memories from their childhood is gone too. 

Next we went to Jallianwala Bagh (see my post on Jallianwala Bagh). We got some Indian style pizzas from Pizza Hut at the Amritsar Mall next to the Hyatt. Then we travelled to the airport and had a 38 hour trip home. We brought three instruments home: Sitar, Taus and Dilruba.
8 months later I realize that this was the experience of a lifetime. Our trip began with our luggage being left behind by Air Canada and we didn’t get it back until the second to last day. From our driver’s roadrage incident, to celebrating my sister’s birthday at Harmandir Sahib, and accidentally getting mixed up for a local person from Pakistan by our security team, the intensity of the experience is unforgettable. I came home to 95 whatsapp messages, 256 emails and 46 facebook notifications and realized that I need to disconnect more. In sangat I was no more or less than everyone else, standing in line at Harmandir Sahib wanting a vision of my Guru Ji and I liked that feeling. One of the wonderful things about being in India was there weren’t mirrors and no one cared how you looked anyways, and I really just enjoyed for three weeks not to have to keep thinking about how I look. 

When we went to Patna, the poverty was striking. There were shacks and naked children on the side of the road. It was heartbreaking to see the children begging, they would put their fingers in the car door so as not to let us close it. In the back of our minds we knew someone was using these children for money, but it was hard to look them in the eye. I remember talking to one mother and her young daughter elsewhere in India. She kept talking and talking and following us for our money. I tried to explain to her that she must put her daughter in school, not to begging. Educated girls break the cycle of poverty. She took in that thought and falsely assured me should would put her back in school, but she didn’t seem to really understand. I told her we are at the Gurdwara, our Guru Jis taught us to work hard to earn our money- kirat karni and she needed to pass that on to her daughter. Even the locals told us not to give any money, telling us the families could earn them. It was a stark difference to the lack of begging that we saw in Pakistan. 

The other striking factor was the ritualism. Everywhere we went, it seemed that our Guru Ji’s teachings were simply taken as “miracle events” and people didn’t understand the underlying messages. While singing the aarti, which teaches us literally that the whole world is an offering to God, we saw the aarti being done where there was a circling around of the jot in front of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. The contradiction was shocking to us. At Gurdwara Gou Ghat they told us for example “if you hug the thumms, your wish will be fulfilled.” The actual sakhi tells us that Guru Ji told us that the sangat would finish the construction of the building with those thumms in the future, but actually now those thumms have been preserved as is, put up on a pedestal as something that is wish-fulfilling and magical. It was disappointing to see that people were not seeing the messages behind the stories of the lives of the Guru Jis. The historical Gurdwaras mostly have someone to do seva who sits and tells the sakhi of the location, and then collects donations. The phrasing was similar from place to place, as people told us to do ardas for getting sons for example. It was hard to hold back my inner commentary that this was wrong on so many levels and they should stop encouraging people to do ardas for material things nonetheless going against the equality of women and men that is engrained in our teachings.

Practicalities
Some things to keep in mind when travelling in India is firstly to buy some camper’s toilet paper (has no roll and is small) from amazon or elsewhere because there is none in India (...and for women tampons are non-existent so bring any feminine hygiene stuff with you). Also you have to get used to squatting toilets, not the ones we have in Canada. Take all essentials on the plane with you in case your luggage gets lost because most likely you wont find what you are looking for at the store. We were trying to buy deodorant, sunscreen, toilet paper and a lot of these things either don’t exist or exist in a completely different form. In fact, the “sunscreen” section was terrifyingly mostly skin bleaching agents and there was only one true sunscreen I could find. Try to take someone local with you because that’s how we got by and didn’t get cheated on things like car rentals and prices. We had a lot of difficulty with figuring out where to go for customs and immigration at the Delhi airport and its incredibly frustrating. There are special rules for travel in India, ex. if you miss your flight you cannot leave unless there is an agent from that airline working (and that may not be for another 24 hrs), so one needs incredible patience at the airport. I would say travel through Amritsar as much as possible, but I know flights are limited like those to Hazur Sahib and Patna were only through Delhi. I have been told that train travel is unsafe. The room in the flights to Patna and Hazur sahib is small so travel very light if you plan on taking a flight, and rules for travel within India are not very firm. Although we were travelling with the same items each time, security kept taking out different items each time at their own discretion. Expect a lot of security; there is police presence at the Takhts and big Gurdwara Sahibs. There is security in hotels and malls similar to the airport, where there are separate lines for males and females to be patted down. When travelling to Pakistan I definitely recommend travelling with those who are experienced in the area once again, we had a great time with Mohanjit Ji as they coordinated all of our security as well. With them were also able to ensure our donations were going directly to important causes like reconstructing Gurdwaras, as well as going to buy things that we were donating and bringing those items directly. In terms of living arrangements, sarans are hit and miss in terms of amenities- hot water for a shower, garbage cans, AC, toilet paper, blankets, towels, etc. can be all missing. We tried to people who were local to book them for us but that didn’t work out and the online booking process is also not the best, so we ended up just showing up and looking for places. Hotels are worth checking out, but sarans are also a unique experience and can be excellent. It can get very hot and tiresome to travel on the hot pavement. Even in March it was burning hot some places. Cotton clothing is a must and try to stay covered. We bought special water bottles that filter the water (although we didn’t use them consistently) and I definitely recommend that. I also failed to recognize how badly I would react to the mosquito bites in Pakistan. My face swelled up badly and stayed that way for over a week. I was really quite ill for a large part of the trip starting with the pneumonia and fever the night before the trip, to GI illness from contaminated food and water, an infected cut on my toe, hitting my head, and a big rash I got on my face from the 40 degree weather. Basically, travelling with the limited medications that we left in our backpacks and being vaccinated is what saved me from having to go to the hospital. Be sure to pack medications and electrolytes! (and of course get travel insurance). Lastly, to ensure you don't have your stuff stolen don't put anything in an outside zipper, and if you can avoid having a purse all the better. 

That brings us to the end of my blogging about this yatra. If I counted right I think we visited 109 Gurdwara Sahibs in three weeks! I have enough stories to tell for years. I have enjoyed going through the history as I've gone back to revisit the pictures and places we visited while writing these posts. I will post some videos up on my youtube channel from our trip when I get a chance and will update the blog here. I have excitedly added going to Patiala, Hemkunt Sahib, Dubai and England Gurdwaras to my list of places to go. If you know of some Gurdwaras around the world that must be visited, mention them below! 

8 comments:

  1. Ironically I saw Shri Harmandir Sahib( Golden temple visit) Highlighted by a small Quebec travel company. Over and over all year round they have several dates and mix and match visits for different prices. They have Shri Harmandir Sahib - I thought this must be bascially FREE for them - the food is free atleast. Some people go with Jathas from UK - to Gurdwaras like Hemkunt Sahib in Summer or fall. Sant Maskeen ji mention Iran and Iraq( perhaps a guided tour with a reputable person) Iraq is TOO DENGEROUS. Gurudwaras in UK, California. Gurdwaras in BC are 100 years old now. Gurdwaras in South India, Nepal etc. For me God is every where and Yatra is for Historical vacation. A thought keeps coming WHY did Sikhs lose their Home to Muslims and Hindus - the Whole of Punjab. IF they were UNITY, TRUST, LOYALTY, RATIONAL Thought as proposed by the Gurus - Punjab of Maharajas would have been like California - We would still be living there - in our own Home land. Both East - West Punjab and the Himalayan state of Himachal, Delhi, Chandigarh, Haryana and West Pakistan would have under Sikhs. BUT most so called Sikhs are NOT real Sikhs - most are corrupt just like Hindus and Muslims

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whole topic and this post is beautiful. How Capitalism, competition has taken so much away from so many people. But I come back to what GOD has given the Sikhs at the time of Maharaja Ranjeet Singh and other Sikh rajas - they could have created a California there so we would still be living there and the Western would have to come work there. We heard of Centenarians Sikhs like Fauza and an old lady around 100 still ran and received gold medals. This is an inspiring story
    I was slowly dying. Now I'm going to live': Fitness guru, 73, has 119,000 Instagram followers

    Joan MacDonald of Cobourg, Ont., went from weighing almost 200 pounds to landing on fitness magazine covers
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/73-year-old-fitness-guru-1.5372232

    ReplyDelete
  3. May Waheguru bless you with a healthy successful life. Then you can go visit Harminder Sahib as often as you wish with friends and family

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Lonely Planet's - 5things to consider for First time India travelers:
    . Stay healthy

    India has a somewhat notorious reputation amongst travellers for so-called Delhi belly (an upset stomach). No one wants to get ill, particularly if you’re on a shorter trip, so it pays to take steps to avoid a dodgy tum. Never drink tap water, and steer clear of any food that may have been washed in it. As a precaution, avoid ice, ice cream, and salads and fruit you haven't just peeled yourself. Let your stomach acclimatise for a few days before launching into a mega-spicy street food feast, and whenever buying street food, apply the same assessment of cleanliness standards as you would anywhere. Are the owners freshly cooking the food or has it been standing there for a while? Is the stall busy with lots of customers or only attracting hoards of flies?
    https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/5-tips-for-india-first-timers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best time to visit Northern India(Punjab, Hariyana, Pakistan) etc are either middle of Feb to 3rd week of March( as Dec - Jan are busy and cold, smog, fog less sunny days). Or October, Nov. as Dec is busy and Cold. From the end of March to end of June is HOT. July, Aug, mid Sept are mansoon rainy, hot days. So overall Oct is good and mid Feb - Mid March are perfect days

    ReplyDelete
  6. This may be of help to someone. Just saw today at the New York Times. Since that's paid subscription read, I googled and found at another site
    She Had Two Heart Attacks, but Normal Arteries. What Was Going On?
    "It’s amazing to the patient that her diagnosis was made on the basis of a symptom that she’d spent years complaining about — to anyone who would listen, except her doctors. And yet it was right there all along.

    https://getfitwinnipeg.com/health-news/she-had-two-heart-attacks-but-normal-arteries-what-was-going-on/

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Purpose of this comment is multiple: What happened to Guru Nanak's Punjab - and if God is standing near by WHY are weak still being exploited. In Lot of Physicist Tom Campbell's this question is asked by victims
    As I said Many many times before, this Beautiful Land use to belong to Sikh(the WHOLE of Punjab - Both Indian side and Pakistani) - Now under Hindu and Muslim rule. Sikhs had the most fertile land in South East Asia - A California of the East. During 1990s US started lowering interest rates, AND Wall St started taking money to China, India, Russia, BRazil, South Africa( BRICS) - Money and tech went and built up those Nations causing factory jobs to move there too - cheaper labor. They need lot of energy - hence rise of the Western provinces with Oil and Food. China is a DICTATORSHIP - they made people work, work, save it to invest in places like Pakistan, and other poor countries. Sikhs went with the British to South East countries like Singapore, Hong Kong to Police. The highest ranking policeman in Malaysia is a turbaned Sikh

    This story I saw in CBC - from GujaranWala - Where Ranjit Singh was born and this was under Sikhs before the British came
    Pakistani investigators say hundreds of girls and women being sold to China — but neither country will act
    Investigators say more than 600 girls and women have been trafficked since 2018
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pakistan-china-trafficking-girls-women-brides-1.5384148

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I always wonder WHY WHY WHY Sikhs could NOT create their OWN California AFTER so much sacrifice of our Gurus and the Wisdom already available to them from Shri Guru Granth Sahib ji. Guess what a Historian who was there in Punjab Wrote:
    Lapel H Griffin an Englishman Who wrote about Sikh(after the British took complete Control of India) -He reached India in November 1860(10 years after the annexation of Punjab and death of Maharaja Ranjit Singh) and was posted to Lahore.[1]

    The Sikhs were never a united people:

    But they were at no time a united people. During the eighteenth century each never a united people. During the eighteenth century each leader was absolutely independent, conquering and plundering on his own account ; and only joining other Chiefs to make an attack on the common enemy, the Muhammadan. Ranjit Singh contrived to make a compact kingdom out of the Punjab proper, north of the Bias, but he did not unite the Sikh people generally under his rule. At the time of his greatest power, in 1830, there may have been 1,250,000 Sikhs in the whole Punjab. But of these 500,000 lived to the south of the Satlej, under the rule of Chiefs who looked upon Ranjit Singh as an upstart and hated him even more than they feared
    Note Ala Singh was Raja of the Sidhu tribe

    https://www.jatland.com/home/Raja_Ala_Singh

    ReplyDelete