Sunday, March 22, 2020

270 Days of Yoga

I started doing yoga last year and continued on with it every day. I attended a yoga camp back in 2009, but since that I had only tried it a few times here and there, nothing consistent. I never thought it was something for me. It seemed to be either too hard, or too slow. I had never found exactly the right pace and level. 

There are many different styles and ways of doing yoga and you have to find the one that resonates with you. It teaches us breathing, but also builds core strength, endurance, balance, and flexibility. It is actually very relaxing at the end of a long day to reconnect to one’s body and actually feel your aching back release, and take a few deep breaths from the belly. As someone who is generally hyperflexible, I have needed to build some strength around my ligaments that easily are sprained, and it has been very nice to learn how to build that through yoga. This body is our vessel to be able to get through this life and we do have a duty to keep it healthy. We also need to keep the mind healthy by teaching it ways of relaxation. I think yoga offers us both of these gifts. There is also something to being able to release the different energies that we have and express ourselves. 

I have to say that I have no real idea about the links of yoga to Sikhi, or whether there is a connection. I do think it can give us a spiritual experience if we seek it. It is not simply just exercises and physical movements, but about a deeper connection to the breath. We know that the breath is vitally important to our understanding of life. So I encourage you to try out different types of yoga. There are tons of great videos even on youtube, as we are currently socially distanced and isolated. I found "Yoga with Adriene" to be an especially helpful channel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment