Thursday, September 10, 2020

Chickpea Flour Recipes, Gluten-Free Degh

I had a friend ask me chickpea flour (besan) recipes lately and I decided to make a little guide on all the recipes I have in my recipe book, including Gluten-free Kara Parshad, or Degh. I always have a really hard time describing what "degh" (kara parshad) is. Most people roughly translate it as a pudding, but its not really a liquid so I'm not really sure what it would be called in English. It's semi-solid when warm and solid when cold. Traditionally a combination of wheat, butter and sugar, it can also be made in a gluten-free version with besan for those who cannot tolerate wheat. Please let me know if you have other recipes. I feel like I'm convinced the best gluten-free flour is definitely besan. It is so versatile and it tastes great, plus its full of protein which is something I always struggle to get enough of.

Roti: mix in 1/2 chickpea flour with 1/2 whatever you want- wheat, cassava, or gf multigrain works well.
Aloo tikki: you take potatoes and either boil or bake them until soft. I baked mine and found they turn out better. Whatever kinds of potatoes works. I used red ones this time. Then mash them well. form patties by hand. Separately mix chickpeaa flour with water until you form a liquid mixture, add in however much turmeric, salt and pepper to make it flavorful. Then dunk your potato patties in, or spoon the liquid onto them. Heaat a frying pan to med with oil- enough so the patties are partially immersed but you dont have to totally dunk them or anything. Then flip once brown. Serve with chutney or ketchup.
India Cookies (not a huge fan but mom loves them, they taste like tea biscuits that everyone has at their house in cities that aren't Northern BC): 3/4 c chickpea flour, 3 tbsp ghee, 3 tbsp sugar, and bake for 12 min on 350 F. My massi roughly told us the ingredients but no measurements at all, so we just lucked out that these estimations worked out. If you are looking for more of a Canadian Cookie, you might want to add a lot more sugar.
Besan Parshad: put 2 tbsp of chickpea flour ith 2 tbsp butter and brown on medium, mixing and preventing it from getting burned. separately boil a glaass of water, 2 tbsp of sugar. Then once the chickpea flour browns a bit and starts to emit a smell, you mix in the water and you keep mixing. You have to keep mixing it until it "comes together" and isnt like a pure liquid anymore. Usually takes around 2 minutes.
Degh: same as above but you need to use 1/2 cup water and 1-2 tbsp of sugar. SHUT OFF THE chickpea flour that you browned then slowly add in the water as you stir. If you dont continuously stir it burns. Then it will become the thin version of the pudding, then keep thickening and it will become the thick version of it. Take it out and cool!

Besan Barfi is made very similarly, except I havent gotten mine quite right yet. You have to put it into a container to let it cool and use cardamom powder. Some people use powdered milk to make it thick. I'll post that when I've got it right.
Kadhi: you take 1 big wooden spoonful of canola oil (haha sorry, not the best measure) and put it in BIG saucepan, Turn it off. Add in 1 tbsp of cumin, 1 tsp of garlic and ginger (i just basically take the fresh ones and then food process them to bits), 1 tsp dried fenugreek, however much chopped green pepper you want, tomatoes and onions. I would put probably 1/2 cup of each. It will pop from the oil so i just put the lid on. Leave that while the stovetop is off. Separately in a bowl mix 125 mL of chickpea flour, mix into 3 cups of buttermilk, and 1 cup of water. Whisk. Then add 1 tsp of turmeric, 1 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp of red pepper, 1/8 tsp masala. Add it to the big pot and mix on high, uncovered. Keep mixing it so it doenst burn, every few minutes. When it has boiled after about 5 minutes put it on medium, and cover it with a lid, keeping it slightly open with your wooden spoon. Stir every little while again for 7 minutes. Voila you are done!
Pancake: 1 cup chickpea flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 3 tbsp sugar (i use less), 1/2 c and 2 tbsp milk, mix the dry into the wet and then whisk. Warm a pan on medium. add 1/2 tsp of oil and then spoon on small amounts of batter to make your pancake, cooking 3 min per side. Add fruit and maple syrup on top! (lol I was so disappointed when they had no maple syrup in India for the waffles and I realized this was a Canadian thing). This is probably the best pancake Iv'e ever eaten. This recipe is from https://www.theconsciousplantkitchen.com/chickpea-flour-pancakes/
Socca: I like this recipe. Ideally use a cast iron pan, I use cumin in mine https://simple-veganista.com/socca-farinata/#llc_comments
It essentially tastes like mattar because its just vesan and cumin, but it's made in the oven instead of fried.
Cheela (omlette): 1 cup of chickpea flour, 1/2 cup chopped spinach, 1/2 c chopped carrot, 1/2 c chopped broccoli, 1 inch minced ginger, 1/4 tsp turmeric (or less!), 1/2 tsp cumin, salt to taste, red chilli to taste, 1 c water- add gradually. oil a cast iron pan, pour 1/2 cup of batter. Then add a little bit of oil on top before flipping. This is a variation of an online recipe but I really dont remember where it came from unfortunately. You can add whatever you want to your cheela.

I will try and post a pakora recipe sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment