Thursday, July 16, 2020

Go With the Flow of the Universe

I don’t consider myself a “go with the flow” kind of person. I do a lot of planning, weighing pros and cons, researching, considering options... a real full analysis. I guess that’s my science brain and way I have been taught to approach the world from my years of schooling. I do go with that intuitive feeling in my heart too (sometimes when you know, you just know, its a gut instinct and not a calculated decision), but even then I'm largely non-spontaneous. Gut instincts and intuitive feelings don't change much. Now with all my planned stuff completed, I am finding myself discovering a world of possibilities that I cannot plan for. Coincidentally this morning when I was working out I was listening to a katha on Anand Sahib by Nanak Naam charity and it was talking about this very topic. They talked about how the universe does what it does (Hukam) and that it will continue to flow like a river flows. I realized that my own desires, my own input, my agenda doesn’t matter. When I think that I am controlling variables, and meddling in plans, I am actually not doing anything but causing myself grief. That doesn’t mean that we do nothing, but it means that we do things with a different intention. The intention is no longer to control the world to what we want so we can be happy. It is to do what we can and accept all as is naturally happening. The idea of happiness being tied to things being the way we want them to be is an issue, but the second issue is that we think that the universe revolves around us, when we are actually a part of the universe. 

I have been struggling with this for quite some time. Hope, wish, pray, over and over but the purpose of the prayer is actually to change yourself, to change your own mind’s thinking to align to Hukam. That part about prayer in the form of Ardas I understood, but a hope and a wish is also a type fo prayer and we do that all the time. We think if we wish hard enough with the bottom of our hearts, our desires will suddenly be real. Like they talked about in the video, it is possible to able to be in Anand (bliss) no matter what. I think in Punjabi culture there is this idea that enjoy life while you are young. I had an older friend with children tell me that just yesterday. It is the idea that once you are married and once you have a family, your time for everything will disappear. Your time for Simran, kirtan, learning history, doing anything at all will just evaporate. It is as if people say that life, enjoyment, the chance for Anand are over. Yet Guru Nanak Dev Ji’s core principle of a Grist Marag, a householder’s life, as central to the spiritual life is one that contradicts this cultural thinking that has morphed its way into our consciousness. When I was reading all that history, I was thinking about how these Guru Jis had their families, but they were also living such enlightened lives. Being married and having children wasn’t a burden to that spiritual life. Guru Angad Dev Ji’s wife Mata Khivi, is famously written into the Guru Granth Sahib Ji for the service she did in running the langar. Just even thinking about how when Guru Gobind Singh Ji and the Sikhs evacuated Anandpur (after the oath was sworn by Aurangzeb), they had stopped at the Sirsa riverbank to do Asa Di Vaar. The very soldiers who carried their swords and bow-and-arrow, used to also carry their dilrubas to sing kirtan. They would do their Nitnem in the jungles. Even as the Guru Jis were establishing towns, operating langar, helping to resolve people’s everyday problems, spreading the messages of Sikhi, as people were trying to attack and kill them - even during all of that, they were still in deep meditation, doing kirtan, doing Nitnem, and writing Gurbani. The spiritual life was infused into everything else which is the example given when Guru Nanak Dev Ji is working as a store-keeper and as he gets to the number thirteen (tera) he starts meditating, Tera, Tera (Yours, Yours, Yours) and handing out more and more provisions.

Some of you might be thinking that’s fine for men but what about women. I think we have to work even more on our attachment thinking. When you grow inside you a human being and bring it into the world it is easy to think that that is your creation, that is yours forever, that is yours whether for worse or better, that you must pour all of your energy into this attachment of yours for the rest of your life. There is a struggle upfront, but it is not yours. It is not your creation. Waheguru takes care of all- this comes in Rehras Sahib. “Odai Oood Avai Sai Kosa, Tis Pashay Bashrai Shariya. Tin Kavan Khulavai, Kavan Chugavay, Man meh simran kariya.” Guru Ji asks is this question “The flamingoes fly hundreds of miles, leaving their young ones behind. Who feeds them, and who teaches them to feed themselves? have you ever thought of this in your mind?” This applies to all- that we must not attach ourselves so deeply into our householder life that we cut off all spiritual progress. It should not be a hindrance to us. So we must think differently, that the spiritual essence of our life is the very core around which everything must revolve. We can’t make it a side task, hobby, or something we do just during the morning or evenings. If I was to wake up, do my Nitnem and then spend the whole day in anxiety, thinking that what I want to happen isn’t happening, and I am not getting what I wished for, then I have learned nothing because I am spending my life actively working against Hukam and the flow of the universe. In Gurbani we call this category of thinking “Rajogun”- the worldly desires, hopes, and wishes. I think I have spent most of my time thinking that if I stay focused, determined, and work hard enough I will be able to achieve my goals/fulfill my desires. The lesson in Gurbani is that we must make our efforts into our spiritual path instead, to move above and beyond rajogun (or tamogun and satogun).

I am learning to remind this mind to go with the flow. To accept that maybe everything is not what’s been planned or desired, but not to keep forcing it, or holding my breath and waiting for it to magically change. It is what it is because that is the flow of the universe in this moment. This moment is actually all we have to live in after all. I’m not saying don’t plan, but I’m saying don’t obsess on what happens or when things change. I was thinking about this post this morning and went out for a walk. Halfway through there was a heavy downpour and a thunderstorm. My shoes and pants were just drenched. I remembered that this is You, rejuvenating life, feeding the plants, reminding this mind that I am not in control. I am tired of thinking if I do X, then Y will happen, tired of waiting, tired of the false hope that it will all be just as I wish. The Universe does what it does, and it is time to align to it and stop waiting until something happens to be fulfilled. Gurbani explains to us probably hundreds of times, that other people, things, places, experiences, nothing at all can give us that fulfillment. That inner work doesn’t go away, we are ever striving as Sikhs to fulfill our path and purpose as we work, as we raise our children, as we exercise, as we eat and sleep and live. 

6 comments:

  1. This Sikh grandmother cooks and her grand son posts videos of them sharing food with poor kids. Video log has millions of views per episode.
    PIZZA | PANEER PIZZA | GIANT PIZZA | PIZZA RECIPE | BIGGEST PIZZA | BY GRANDMA | VEG VILLAGE FOOD
    12,229,648
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zkC1h6q4HY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today I was thinking about writing this comment -Sikhs are even Less than 2% of the Indian population(their numbers dwindling due to migration to the West, Controlled births - Earlier generations wanted Sons(when women weren't safe during Muslim rule, then after independence of India - they wanted 2 sons only - dowry issues, then they wanted only 1 Son - Land division issue - then said ok 2 kids but 1 son and 1 daughter. The less than 2% are divided between Castes, between city - village, EVEN between from whom they took Amrit - Here I am talking about one group whose Videos I have watched last week -Akhankd Keertni Jatha. Their founder was Bhai Randhir Singh ji(I have immense respect for him). BUT what about his followers - do they really understand Shri Guru Granth Sahibji bani LOGIC? They want people to eat out of Iron untensils, they have their own dress, their rituals etc - Why are Sikhs creating their own little Jathas or groups and their own Codes? What is Akal Thakht for?
    Here is one of their followers showing People to bake bread(with WHITE flour)..LOL
    They Bibeki cooking
    ਹੁਣ ਆਪਣੇ ਘਰ ਹੀ ਬਣਾਓ ਨਰਮ ਨਰਮ ਬ੍ਰੈਡ। Bread Loaf Recipe | Bibeki Cooking Ep.1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_B6hEPtPdg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since this morning I wanted to impart some things - Be careful of joining a GROUP or "Satsangat" The groups will entice people by saying You need to do Sat sangat. But if you read Gurbani - What is Sat Sangat. There is SAT in You and everywhere around you. If you put attention on it - BE WITH IT - by Focusing on IT - That's Sat Sangat -
    Question:ਸਤਸੰਗਤਿ ਕੈਸੀ ਜਾਣੀਐ।।
    Answer..ਜਿਥੈ ਏਕੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਖਾਣੀਐ।।
    Shabad(Sound of God's Praise) is Guru, my ATTENTION is the follower of that Sound. Shabad Guru, Surat Dhun Chela
    When I googled to find the Exact wording, I found this write up which says the SAME thing I wanted to say - Stay away from groups.
    ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਨੇ ਲੋਕਾਈ ਨੂੰ ਇਸ ਸੰਸਾਰ ਅਦੰਰ ਸੁਖੀ, ਸ਼ਾਂਤਮਈ ਇਕਸੁਰਤਾ ਵਾਲਾ ਸੱਚਾ ਜੀਵਨ ਜੀਊਣ ਲਈ ਦੋ ਅੱਖਰ ਦੱਸੇ ਹਨ-ਇਕ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਅਤੇ ਦੂਜਾ ਸਤਸੰਗਤਿ। ਜਦੋਂ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਸਿੱਧਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਪਹਾੜਾਂ ਉਤੇ ਮਿਲੇ ਤਾਂ ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਇਹੀ ਪੁਛਿਆ ਸੀ ਕਿ ਤੁਸੀ ਇਥੇ ਕਿਸ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਆਏ ਹੋ, ਇਥੇ ਆਉਣਾ ਤਾਂ ਬੜਾ ਮੁਸ਼ਕਲ ਹੈ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਦਾ ਜਵਾਬ ਸੀ, “ਸ਼ਬਦ ਅਤੇ ਸਤਸੰਗਤਿ ਅਬਿਨਸ਼ੀ ਹਨ ਅਤੇ ਅਸੀ ਨਾਸ਼ਵਾਨ ਦਾ ਆਸਰਾ ਨਹੀ ਤਕਦੇ। ਸ਼ਬਦ ਤੇ ਸਤਸੰਗਤਿ ਦੇ ਆਸਰੇ ਨਾਲ ਹੀ ਅਸੀ ਇਥੇ ਪੁੱਜੇ ਹਾਂ। ਇਹ ਦੋਵੇਂ ਗੱਲਾਂ ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਅੰਦਰ 1430 ਪੰਨਿਆਂ ਤੇ ਅੰਕਤ ਹਨ
    ਅੱਜ ਅਸੀ ਨਜ਼ਰ ਮਾਰ ਕੇ ਵੇਖੀਏ ਕਿ ਪੰਜਾਬ ਅੰਦਰ ਜਿੰਨੇ ਸਤਿਸੰਗ ਹੁੰਦੇ ਹਨ ਸ਼ਾਇਦ ਸਾਰੇ ਹਿੰਦੁਸਤਾਨ ਵਿੱਚ ਨਾ ਹੁੰਦੇ ਹੋਣ। ਇਥੇ ਗੁਜਰਾਤ, ਬਿਹਾਰ ਅਤੇ ਹੋਰ ਥਾਵਾਂ ਤੋ ਆ ਕੇ ਅਖੌਤੀ ਗੁਰੂਆਂ ਨੇ ਸਤਿਸੰਗ ਦੇ ਡੇਰੇ ਬਣਾਏ ਹੋਏ ਹਨ। ਪੰਜਾਬ ਦੇ ਅਖੌਤੀ ਸਾਧਾਂ-ਸੰਤਾਂ, ਬਾਬਿਆਂ ਨੇ ਵੀ ਬਹੁਤ ਸਾਰੇ ਡੇਰੇ ਬਣਾਏ ਹੋਏ ਹਨ ਜੋ ਲੋਕਾਂ ਦੀ ਬੁਹੁਗਿਣਤੀ ਨੂੰ ਦੀਵਾਨਾਂ (ਭਾਰੀ ਇਕੱਠਾਂ) ਅਤੇ ਸਤਿਸੰਗਾਂ ਰਾਹੀ ਜੋ ਉਪਦੇਸ਼ ਦੇਂਦੇ ਹਨ, ਉਸ ਨਾਲ ਸਾਡਾ ਇੱਕ ਅਬਿਨਾਸ਼ੀ ਸੱਤ (ਸੱਚ) ਤੇ ਭਰੋਸਾ ਨਹੀ ਬੱਝ ਸਕਿਆ। ਉਸ ਦਾ ਕਾਰਨ ਇਹ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਇਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਨੇ ਆਪ ਵੀ ਸਤਿਸੰਗਤ ਅਤੇ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਨੂੰ ਜਾਣਿਆ ਨਹੀ ਜਿਸ ਕਾਰਨ ਇਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਅੰਦਰ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਅਤੇ ਨਿਰਵੈਰਤਾ ਵਾਲੇ ਗੁਣ ਪੈਦਾ ਨਹੀ ਹੋ ਸਕੇ। ਇਹ ਸਤਿਸੰਗ ਕਰਵਾਉਣ ਵਾਲੇ ਅਨੇਕਾਂ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਦੇ ਡਰਾਂ ਅੰਦਰ ਜ਼ਿਦਗੀ ਬਤੀਤ ਕਰਦੇ ਹਨ। ਇਹ ਗੱਲ ਸਾਨੂੰ ਇਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਵਲੋ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਤੇ ਭਰੋਸਾ ਨਾ ਰਖਦੇ ਹੋਇਆਂ, ਸਰਕਾਰ ਕੋਲੋਂ ਅਪਣੀ ਸੁਰੱਖਿਆ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਕੀਤੀ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਮੰਗ ਤੋ ਪਤਾ ਲਗਦੀ ਹੈ। ਸੱਚਾ ਸਾਧ ਜਾਂ ਸੰਤ ਕਦੇ ਵੀ, ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਤੋਂ ਬਿਨਾਂ, ਸਰਕਾਰ ਤੋ ਅਪਣੀ ਸੁਰੱਖਿਆ ਨਹੀ ਮੰਗਦਾ।
    http://www.sikhmarg.com/2010/0314-satsangat.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. "hope and a wish is also a type of prayer and we do that all the time"

    If there is one book I were asked to buy - I would buy Rumi translated by Dr Coleman Barks.
    Everyone I heard from - Rumi, Tom Campbell, Deepak Chopra( I heard about INTENTION). Setting your intention - whether you write the same everyday, or say it. Remember reciting the same Shabad is the same thing - Affirmations, the best
    Rumi -Like All Bhagats and Gurus Called God his Real best friend. ਸਾਜਨੜਾ ਮੇਰਾ ਸਾਜਨੜਾ ਨਿਕਟ ਖਲੋਇੜਾ ਮੇਰਾ ਸਾਜਨੜਾ( my friend, my friend, standing near me) ਵਾਲਾ ਸ਼ਬਦ
    Rumi - I will search for the Friend(God) with all of my passion and all my energy UNTIL I learn that I don't need to search. The Real Truth of existence is Sealed Until after many twists and turns of the road. The Seeker becomes SEER . The Seeker says"< If I had known the real way it was, I would have stopped all the looking around. BUT that knowing depends on the time spent looking!

    Rumi - I don't know whether the Union(with God) I want will come through my effort or my giving up effort or from something completely separate from anything I do or don't do.

    Rumi -There is a way between Voice and Presence where Information flows. In disciplined silence it opens, with Wandering talk it closes.
    This is SO important. When you go for a long walk or exercise - you are concentrating on your breath - your mind is Concentrated -not on wandering talk -you're breathing from stomach(oxygen is going in) you feel relaxed and rejuvenated
    God is Within you - where information flows into you. You don't sit and create thought - I love his poem When in Cairo dreaming of Baghdad. I always joke with my Punjabi friends - When in Punjab dreaming of Canada, When in Canada dreaming of Punjab-

    The Moral of the story was - God lived in his heart but he was searching OUTSIDe. "What i'm longing for lived in my house(heart). the Water of life is here. I'm drinking it. But I had to come this long way to know it..It was the Journey Spent looking for a Key or a Wallet that was in the Seeker's Pocket ALL the time Yet the Seeker Spent Millions of years - Countless life times..The Question was - WHO AM I..the I-ness ਨਾਨਕ ਚੀਨੋ ਆਪ ਕੋਉ ਸੋ ਅਪਰ ਅਪਾਰਾ ਸਭੁ ਆਪੇ ਆਪ ਵਰਤਦਾ ਆਪੇ ਭਰਮਾਇਆ
    Nothing. Nowhere to be found
    We are emptiness. We are GOd's creative action. How we act freely and are yet compelled..ਹਉਮੈ ਕਰੀ ਤਾ ਤੁ ਨਾਹੀ. ਤੁ ਹੋਵੇ ਹੁਓ ਨਹੀ.ਬੁਝੋ ਗਿਆਨੀ
    If YOU really want to meet God - the INTENT is Like a person drowning, wanting a breath of air - You WILL get it. Rumi Says, Chopra says it. Campbell and all I heard Say it. That's why we read Shabad Gurbani day and night.
    HARDEST thing to give up is I am ness(the Ego - not the bad one but this sense I am separate from everything else - God had put it there and ONLY God can remove it(mercy and compassion)..ਹੁਓਮੈ ਕਰ ਕਰ ਜੰਤ ਉਪਾਇਆ..ਮੂਲ ਮੋਹ ਕਰ ਕਰਤੇ ਜਗਤ ਉਪਾਇਆ, ਮਾਇਆ ਲਾਏ ਭਰਮ ਭੁਲਾਇਆ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watch these 2 videos. 1947
    She came to Canada - Her son is a Judge - lawyer
    The Story of Bibi Hazra of Chakra Pind
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAf2U1Q3I7k

    Sisters meet after 72 years -She is in Pakistan
    72 Saal Baad Bhain Mil Gaee || 1947 Partition, Punjab Di Sachi Kahani
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuUkK9HJ5Pw

    ReplyDelete