Raj Musicals in India sells great instruments, make sure you get a hardcover fiberglass case, and associated things, for example you want rosin for the bow of a Taus or Dilruba, and a tuning peg.
Lessons:
Jhankar Center of Performing Arts: run by Bhai Karanjeet Singh in Mississauga, also can be virtual. https://www.facebook.com/Jhankar-Center-of-Performing-Arts-294002081491553
Tanti Saaj Sri Gurmat Academy: run by Hazuri Ragi Bhai Siripal Singh Ji- he teaches Dilruba, Taus, Esraj, sarangi, saranda and rabab. He is currently stuck in California since covid started, but was hoping to come to Canada and does lessons on Zoom right now for people all over the world. He charges 40 USD per lesson. https://tantisaaj.com
Satnam Academy: run by Bhai Surinder Singh Ji- he teaches tabla, harmonium, surmandal, tarshanai, and vocals. They are based out of Surrey, but they unfortunately don't teach the dilruba but they do teach virtually as well. They can be found on facebook and youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqrUz6RXPmMq_O3eu6h45sQ
Bhai Mardana Gurmat Sangeet Academy, Abbotsford is run by Bhai Narinder Singh Ji and he teaches dilruba as well as some other instruments I believe. They can be found on their youtube channel
Raj Academy does lessons as well although quite expensive they do have an established syllabus that is run online. https://www.rajacademy.com
I believe Bhai Mahabeer Singh Ji does teach the rabab, I know he plays Afghani Rabab but I've seen the contact information on one of his videos (whatsapp 8568947400) and he can be reached by facebook too.
I haven't been able to find any meaningful tanti saaj lessons on youtube. I think there are many well intentioned ones, but they are hard to follow and don't tell you how to tune the instrument properly which is the biggest part of starting off, depending on either male scale or female scale and which Sa you are using.
No comments:
Post a Comment